This wonderful Cherry and Coconut Loaf cake was one of my absolute favourites when I was growing up. The natural sweetness of the coconut and cherries means that you can cut down on the amount of refined sugar that you would normally add to a traditional sponge cake. It’s really easy to make, so get baking and enjoy.
I was running a bit low on cherries so definitely will be adding more to my next bake! 🍒
Here is my own Mother Bear’s recipe;
6 oz butter or margarine
4 oz caster sugar
3 medium-sized eggs
splash of milk
4 oz desiccated coconut
A handful of chopped Glacé cherries (this is a personal choice to how many you’d like!)
6 oz self-raising flour
- Warm the oven to 180 C (160 C fan assisted) Grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper
- Cream together the sugar and butter (I use an electric whisk or food processor)
- Mix in the eggs and milk
- Stir in the coconut and chopped cherries
- Fold in the flour
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, bake for 40 mins until the sponge is springy and top golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins then turn out on to a wire cooling rack.
- Enjoy – yum yum
Have you tried this cake? Let me know if you enjoyed it.